Connect with us

Latest

BENUE RESTRICTS COMMERCIAL MOTORCYCLISTS

Published

on

The Benue State Security Council has restricted the operations of commercial motorcycles, also known as Okada in the state.

Henceforth, commercial motorcycle operators would only be allowed to operate from 6am to 8pm everyday until further notice.

The security council took the decision at its emergency held on Wednesday, August 3rd, 2022.

Briefing newsmen after the meeting, Governor Ortom stated however that the earlier outright ban on the use of motorcycles in the Sankera geopolitical zone comprising Katsina-Ala, Logo and Ukum still subsists.

He said the decision followed the recent security alarm raised by the Nasarawa State government and what is happening in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, and other parts of the country.

The Governor emphasized that the decision to restrict the activities of commercial motorcycles was aimed at nipping in the bud the resurgence of criminal elements suspected to be moving into the state.

The Governor stated that security agencies in the state have been mandated to enforce the new regulations, saying stiff penalties such as arrest and prosecution awaits anyone found flouting the order.

The security council also resolved that all heavy-duty vehicles coming into the state, with covered tarpaulins would be searched at designated checkpoints along routes in and out of the state with the contents thoroughly checked before being allowed to pass.

He also disclosed that the 500 personnel of the Benue State Community Volunteer Guards, which will be formally launched on Thursday, August 4th, 2022 to complement conventional security agencies in the state have been trained and kitted with an additional five hundred expected to begin training next week.

The Governor who said the Community Volunteer Guards would work with the traditional rulers and other security agencies in fighting crime expressed optimism that being members of the communities, it would be easier for them to fish out criminals.

Governor Ortom noted that the Security Council also approved a committee headed by the SSG, Professor Tony Ijohor to work towards regulating the activities of miners, which he said have been causing environmental hazards.

Other members of the committee include the Commissioner for Lands and Solid Minerals, Hon. Bernard Unenge, Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Barrister Micheal Gusah and Adviser on Mining, Andrew Kputu as well as the chairmen and second class chiefs of Gboko, Kwande, Ogbadibo and Logo as members.

Nathaniel Ikyur
Chief Press Secretary,
August 3rd, 2022

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest

BREAKING: CBN Bows To Pressure, Increases Withdrawal Limit to 500k

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has revised its cash withdrawal limit policy, stating that individuals and corporate organisations can now withdraw N500,000 and N5 million respectively within a week.

Platforms Africa reports that the apex bank announced this in a letter dated December 21 and signed by the CBN Director of Banking Supervision, Haruna Mustafa. The letter, which was made available to PlatformsAfrica, was addressed to all deposit money banks and other financial institutions.

“The maximum weekly limit for cash withdrawal across all channels by individuals and corporate organizations shall be N500,000.00 and N5,000,000.00 respectively,” the letter read.

Cash withdrawal above the limits shall be subject to a processing fee of 3 per cent and 5 per cent for individuals and corporate organisations respectively.

According to the CBN, the decision to revise the policy was based on feedback received from stakeholders.

Previously, individuals were constrained to N100,000 cash withdrawals weekly and N20,000 daily while corporate organisations were limited to weekly withdrawals of N500,000.

“Third-party cheques above N100,000 shall not be eligible for payment over-the-counter, while the extant limit of N10 million on clearing cheques still subsist,” the letter added.

The CBN said monthly returns on cash withdrawal transactions above the specified limits should be rendered to the banking supervision department, other financial institutions’ supervision and payments system management departments.

Continue Reading

Latest

Breaking: Ronaldo To Join Al-Nassr For €200m euros per year

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo is close to agreeing on a mega transfer to Saudi Arabian outfit All-Nassr.

In a report published by Spanish publication Marca, Ronaldo has been offered a two-year contract by Al-Nassr, who are able to sign the 37-year-old on a free transfer following his departure from Manchester United.

CR7 left United by mutual consent this month
Available on a free transfer.

Marca reports that Ronaldo has also attracted interest from MLS, but he is very conscious of picking up the most lucrative wage possible if calling time on his illustrious career in Europe.

Al-Nassr are willing to pay the Portugal forward a grand total of €400 million if he agrees on a deal to play for the Saudi Arabian club until 2025.

Ronaldo’s second spell at Old Trafford came to an acrimonious end earlier this month as United announced the termination of his contract by mutual consent. The decision was made following the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s controversial interview with Piers Morgan, during which he accused the club of betraying him and admitted to having no respect for head coach Erik ten Hag

Should Ronaldo indeed end up joining Al-Nassr, he will link up with another former Premier League star in David Ospina, who played in goal for Arsenal between 2014 and 2019.

The striker is currently starring for Portugal at the 2022 World Cup, and will hope for another start when Fernando Santos’ side wrap up their group stage campaign against South Korea on Friday.

Source: goal.com

Continue Reading

Latest

2023: Why I Will Vote For Peter Obi – Sheikh Gumi

Published

on

Controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmed Gumi has revealed what would make him vote for the Labour Party, LP, presidential candidate, Peter Obi in 2023.Gumi assured Obi of his vote if he can restructure Nigeria if elected president in 2023.

He spoke in Kaduna yesterday while playing host to the former Anambra State governor and his running mate, Datti Baba-Ahmed.Obi and his running mate were in Kaduna to attend an interactive session for presidential candidates organised by a joint committee of Arewa groups in the build up to the 2023 general elections. However, Gumi commended Obi for visiting and briefing him about his plan for Nigeria.

Sheikh Gumi

According to Gumi: “As you come here (Kaduna) people will like to hear your views about restructuring Nigeria; Nigeria has been restructuring itself from independence to date. It was never static, but I want to know about views on restructuring so that I can write on my Facebook page `this is the presidential candidate who can do this for me; I will assure him of my vote’”. Gumi also asked the LP presidential candidate how he intends to address the issues of agitations and poverty in the country.

“How are you going to deal with the issue of polarity and agitations across Nigeria? Every region is agitating because people are not happy, how are you going to make these people (agitators) happy under one table?“You talked more about the economy; the economy sometimes is more than the figures,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending