Connect with us

Latest

INSECURITY: “No One Is Safe Anymore” -Senator laments after bandits attack his convoy twice in 12 hours

Published

on

Senator Clifford Ordia of Edo State has also become a victim of Nigeria’s insecurity situation as gunmen on Monday attacked the senator who represents Edo Central in the upper legislative chamber. The attack came twice along Okene-Lokoja and Lokoja-Abuja roads within 12 hours of his journey from Edo State to Lokoja.

Ordia told newsmen in Abuja that the gunmen opened fire on his convoy while returning to Abuja from his hometown in Edo State.

According to the senator, the first attack happened along Okene-Lokoja road in Kogi, while the second in Abaji, Abuja all on Monday.

He said the security officers attached to him engaged the criminals in crossfire.

Ordia escaped the attack unhurt though his personal vehicle was riddled with bullets. Tthree of the security officers sustained gunshot injuries. One of the wounded policemen is in a critical condition, but responding to treatment in a hospital in Abuja, he added.

He said: “We were coming from Edo State, somewhere between Okene and Lokoja, when we met these suspected bandits. They opened fire on my convoy. The gallant policemen had to immediately return fire.

“The other security vehicle behind had to immediately join them and they were able to repel the suspected bandits. During the exchange, three of the policemen sustained gun wounds. One of them was critically injured. We had to immediately rush them to a Federal Medical Centre in Lokoja, Kogi State.

“They did their best and was able to stabilise them. I’d to immediately put a call across the Federal Medical Centre in Abuja to be on standby. One of the policemen had a bullet lodged close to his liver.

“We met another setback around Abaji. There was traffic because of the incidence and because we had to save the lives of the wounded policemen, we decided to make a move. They opened fire on us. Some vigilantes had to join the policemen and they were chased into the bush.

“That was how I survived that attack. If you see all my vehicles, you’ll see how the bullets damaged them. But I’m glad that we all survived. I must salute the gallantry of our policemen. If given the right equipment, they can do a lot and protect Nigerians.”

He called on the Federal Government to immediately initiate moves to restructure the security architecture of the country, warning that no one was safe anymore.

Ordia is the chairman, Senate Committee on Local and Foreign Debts. He represents Edo Central in the upper legislative chamber.

Oche Onu writes

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest

BREAKING: CBN Bows To Pressure, Increases Withdrawal Limit to 500k

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has revised its cash withdrawal limit policy, stating that individuals and corporate organisations can now withdraw N500,000 and N5 million respectively within a week.

Platforms Africa reports that the apex bank announced this in a letter dated December 21 and signed by the CBN Director of Banking Supervision, Haruna Mustafa. The letter, which was made available to PlatformsAfrica, was addressed to all deposit money banks and other financial institutions.

“The maximum weekly limit for cash withdrawal across all channels by individuals and corporate organizations shall be N500,000.00 and N5,000,000.00 respectively,” the letter read.

Cash withdrawal above the limits shall be subject to a processing fee of 3 per cent and 5 per cent for individuals and corporate organisations respectively.

According to the CBN, the decision to revise the policy was based on feedback received from stakeholders.

Previously, individuals were constrained to N100,000 cash withdrawals weekly and N20,000 daily while corporate organisations were limited to weekly withdrawals of N500,000.

“Third-party cheques above N100,000 shall not be eligible for payment over-the-counter, while the extant limit of N10 million on clearing cheques still subsist,” the letter added.

The CBN said monthly returns on cash withdrawal transactions above the specified limits should be rendered to the banking supervision department, other financial institutions’ supervision and payments system management departments.

Continue Reading

Latest

Breaking: Ronaldo To Join Al-Nassr For €200m euros per year

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo is close to agreeing on a mega transfer to Saudi Arabian outfit All-Nassr.

In a report published by Spanish publication Marca, Ronaldo has been offered a two-year contract by Al-Nassr, who are able to sign the 37-year-old on a free transfer following his departure from Manchester United.

CR7 left United by mutual consent this month
Available on a free transfer.

Marca reports that Ronaldo has also attracted interest from MLS, but he is very conscious of picking up the most lucrative wage possible if calling time on his illustrious career in Europe.

Al-Nassr are willing to pay the Portugal forward a grand total of €400 million if he agrees on a deal to play for the Saudi Arabian club until 2025.

Ronaldo’s second spell at Old Trafford came to an acrimonious end earlier this month as United announced the termination of his contract by mutual consent. The decision was made following the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s controversial interview with Piers Morgan, during which he accused the club of betraying him and admitted to having no respect for head coach Erik ten Hag

Should Ronaldo indeed end up joining Al-Nassr, he will link up with another former Premier League star in David Ospina, who played in goal for Arsenal between 2014 and 2019.

The striker is currently starring for Portugal at the 2022 World Cup, and will hope for another start when Fernando Santos’ side wrap up their group stage campaign against South Korea on Friday.

Source: goal.com

Continue Reading

Latest

2023: Why I Will Vote For Peter Obi – Sheikh Gumi

Published

on

Controversial Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmed Gumi has revealed what would make him vote for the Labour Party, LP, presidential candidate, Peter Obi in 2023.Gumi assured Obi of his vote if he can restructure Nigeria if elected president in 2023.

He spoke in Kaduna yesterday while playing host to the former Anambra State governor and his running mate, Datti Baba-Ahmed.Obi and his running mate were in Kaduna to attend an interactive session for presidential candidates organised by a joint committee of Arewa groups in the build up to the 2023 general elections. However, Gumi commended Obi for visiting and briefing him about his plan for Nigeria.

Sheikh Gumi

According to Gumi: “As you come here (Kaduna) people will like to hear your views about restructuring Nigeria; Nigeria has been restructuring itself from independence to date. It was never static, but I want to know about views on restructuring so that I can write on my Facebook page `this is the presidential candidate who can do this for me; I will assure him of my vote’”. Gumi also asked the LP presidential candidate how he intends to address the issues of agitations and poverty in the country.

“How are you going to deal with the issue of polarity and agitations across Nigeria? Every region is agitating because people are not happy, how are you going to make these people (agitators) happy under one table?“You talked more about the economy; the economy sometimes is more than the figures,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending