Connect with us

Latest

Pele, Ronaldo, Messi, others Mourn Maradona

Published

on

Following the passing away of the Argentine football legend, Diego Armando Maradona on Wednesday, tributes have continued to pour in from fans and fellow football legends. Notably are Pele of Brazil, Ballon D’or title holder and Portuguese international Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi of Argentina, French legend, Mitchell Platini and soccer manager, Jose Mourinho.

LIONEL MESSI: “A very sad day for all Argentines and for football. He leaves us but does not leave, because Diego is eternal. I keep all the beautiful moments lived with him and I wanted to take the opportunity to send my condolences to all his family and friends. RIP”

Lionel Messi and Maradona

CRISTIANO RONALDO: The Juventus forward wrote on his Instagram page to react to the sad news, calling Maradona “an unparalleled magician” who leaves “a void that will never be filled”.

Ronaldo and Maradona

PELE: The Brazilian football legend, expressed grief on his Instagram page as he mourned his fellow legend Diego Maradona saying he hoped they would “play together in the sky” one day. “Sad news today. I have lost a dear friend, and the world has lost a legend,”

Maradona and Pele

PLATINI: The French football legend Michel Platini who had played on the same pitch with Maradona both at international and club assignments expressed his sadness at the news of the death of his old rival, saying that “it’s our past that goes away.””I am very sad. I am nostalgic for what was a wonderful era,” said Platini. Maradona and Platini were big rivals in the 1980s as the Frenchman played for Juventus against Maradona’s Napoli. “Diego has left a mark on my life,” Platini told French radio station RTL.

Maradona and Platini as rivals
Maradona and Platini

Jose Mourinho, the great award winning football manager wrote on his Instagram page: “Don Diego…. damn dude I miss you” with two heart emojis and a crying emoji.

Maradona and Mourinho

Oche Onu writes with agency reports.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

HOW RACHEL ONIGA DIED AT 64

Published

on

Veteran movie actress, Rachel Oniga has passes away on Friday. According to the family, the actress died of heart disease.

The actress reportedly died Friday night in a hospital in Lagos.

In a statement yesterday by the deceased’s sister, Deaconess Toyin Odusote, Oniga, who passed away at the age of 64, had been battling the ailment for some time now.

The statement read in part:

“With a heavy heart and total submission to God, we write to announce the passing of our beloved sister, mother and grandmother, Chief Rachel Tabuno Oniga .

“She died in a Lagos hospital at the age of 64 , on Friday, July 30, 2021 at about 10 pm.

“Contrary to diverse reports informing that she died of COVID-19 complications, we write to inform the general public that she died of heart related issue, an ailment she battled for a short period before her demise.

“We accept her sudden transition as God’s design and we see it as a function of a race of life well finished.

“Painful as it may, we accept it in good faith and total submission to her Maker.

“We, therefore, desire to be allowed to mourn her death privately for now, as we do cause with deep sense of respect for her soul and the glorious life she lived.”

Burial arrangement would be announced in due course by the deceased’s family, the statement promised.

The deceased reportedly had been on Kunle Afolayan’s movie set in Mowe area of Ogun State since last week.

Biography and Profile of Rachael Oniga

An indigene of Eku in Delta State, Oniga was born on 23 May 1957 in Ebutte Metta, Lagos State. She began her acting career in 1993, shortly after her divorce. She worked briefly at Ascoline Nigeria Limited, a Dutch Consultant Company before her first movie titled Onome and her debut Yoruba movie was Owo Blow. Over the years, Oniga has featured in notable Nigerian films such as Sango, a movie scripted by Wale Ogunyemi, produced and directed by Obafemi Lasode and Wale Adenuga’s television series, Super story.She was one of the famous Nigerian Actresses who played a role of a mother in movies. Although featured mostly in Yoruba movies, she was also active in Nollywood English movies.Among the movies she featured are Sango in 1997, Out of Bounds in 1997, Owo Blow 1997, Passion of Mind in 2004, Power Of Sin, Restless Mind and Doctor Bello in 2013, 30 Days in Atlanta in 2014, The Royal Hibiscus Hotel in 2017, Power of 1 in 2018, The Wedding Party and My Village People 2021.

Oniga is survived by three children and several grandchildren.

Continue Reading

Latest

EXPECT DEVASTATING FLOOD, FG Tells Benue, Others.

Published

on

Benue State and all the states around the Rivers Benue and Niger basin including the FCT should expect to experience devastating flood between August and October, the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA), has predicted.

NIHSA, an agency of the Federal Ministry of Water Resources, earlier predicted the recent flooding in Lagos, Nasarawa, Anambra, Abia, Kwara, Kaduna, Rivers, Enugu, Borno and Ondo states as a result of heavy local rainfalls. The situation was aggravated by poor drainage system.

The Director-General of the Agency, Engr. Nze Clement Onyeaso, in an interactive session with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, said all areas earlier identified as flood prone this year as well as those along the Rivers Niger and Benue might likely begin to experience more devastating flooding from the end of August.

“Nigeria is located within the River Niger Basin which is occupied by nine countries namely Benin, Burkina- Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivore, Guinea, Mali, Niger and Nigeria. Nigeria is located at the lowest position of the Basin and this means that once the upper catchment of the Basin gets flooded, Nigeria should be prepared to experience flooding. The period of flooding in these upstream countries is August and September of every year,’’ he said

According to the DG, NIHSA was monitoring the development as the world approaches these critical months, adding that the agency would also continue to monitor Cameroonian authorities with regards to flood scenarios in the upper catchment of the sub-basin.

Nze Clement Onyeaso,

Engr. Nze warned Lagosians against the practice of dredging and sound filling the Atlantic Ocean, to build what they usually call model cities like those in Lekki and Banana Island, saying such may, in the future, pose serious threats.

As part of the preparation for the expected floods, the DG called on Nigerians, especially the state governments to be fully prepared by ensuring cleaning of blocked drainage system and canals remove refuse, weeds, water hyacinths and floats on water channels.

The Agency had earlier predicted that 121 LGAs in 27 states and FCT might experience severe flooding this year.

Oche Onu writes from Lagos

Continue Reading

Latest

Abducted Uni. Agric Makurdi Students Released

Published

on

Two abducted students of the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM), in Benue State, have been released by their abductors.

An unspecified number of students were reportedly taken away at gunpoint on Monday while studying in a theatre hall at the College of Engineering on campus, the school authority declared.


Their release was confirmed on Wednesday by the institution’s Director of Information, Protocol and Public Relations (IPPR), Mrs Rosemary Waku, Who disclosed that the students have regained their freedom.

Waku said two of the kidnapped victims were freed from their captivity on Tuesday while the others (unspecified) earlier escaped from their abductors.

“The students of FUAM that were kidnapped have been released.

“The two students, Israel Farren Kwaghgee and Solomon Salifu came back to campus yesterday (27/4/21),” the IPPR director stated.

According to Waku, the released students were “currently” undergoing medical attention.

In the same vein, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) for Benue command, DSP Catherine Anene, confirmed the release of the abducted students:

“Kidnapped students of the University of Agriculture have been released unhurt. Investigation into the case continues please,” she said.

Anene added that no ransom was paid.

There were however no further explanations from the two authorities about the circumstances surrounding the release of the students. Their abductors had earlier allegedly placed a demand of N21 million for their freedom.

Oche Onu writes

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending